The Buckeye Lager Beer Co. of Toledo Ohio became the first large, out of town beer distributor in Fort Wayne in 1878. After the closing of Riedmiller’s Eagle Brewery, Buckeye began leasing the ice house and warehouse for storage. Beer was transported by rail and horse drawn wagons during the winter months and stored on ice for summer distribution. Local saloon owners had Buckeye Lager on tap and several local bottlers offered returnable bail seal type bottles. The warehouse was located at the corner of Riedmiller’s and Eagle Street, just three blocks west of the current Mad Anthony Brewery. Buckeye Beer is still available, and being produced by the Maumee Bay Brewing Co. of Toledo, Oh. Photos HERE There is a great article about the history of Buckeye Beer HERE 

Jeff Johnson